Could you help young people in Fife make successful transitions to independence?
Are you a positive role model who could support a young person make good life choices?
We need volunteer mentors to support young people by building positive relationships and supporting them with the challenges of independence.
Purpose and aims of the role
Aberlour LifeWorks – Fife, run in partnership with Fife Council, aims to improve life chances for young people and help them develop important life skills for the future. Our experienced staff and volunteers work together with each young person to build positive relationships, offer opportunities and support that make day-to-day life skills and the transition into adulthood less challenging.
The young people we help are aged 14 plus and our volunteers will be part of a tailored support package to meet individual needs of young people.
What will i be doing?
- Spending time with a young person to help them feel valued and supported.
- Offering a young person time to talk and support them with for example; challenges of education, social networks, employment, running a home, and taking care of themselves and their relationships.
- You will help ease the transition to independence by supporting them with practical skills.
- Working in partnership with experienced staff in the Lifeworks Fife Team, you will play a crucial part in supporting young people build and maintain social and supportive networks.
What skills can i bring to this role?
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to boost the confidence and self-esteem of young people.
- Good communication and listening skills.
- Ability to encourage and motivate young people.
- Have a supportive approach towards young people.
What qualities do i need?
- To have a non-judgemental approach to people and have empathy
- Be patient
- Be enthusiastic, flexible and committed
- Reliable and respectful
- Friendly, helpful and understanding
- A commitment to treat information in a confidential manner
- To be a team player
When will I be needed?
- Days, evenings or weekends
- Each mentoring session lasts approximately 2 – 3 hours
- Visits vary from weekly, fortnightly or monthly
- Minimum commitment of 12 months required
You will be visiting young people in the Fife area.
What support will i be given?
- Aberlour induction
- Child and adult protection training
- Role specific training
- Expenses – all out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
- Supervision and support from your manager / coordinator
- Support from an experienced member of the LifeWorks - Fife team
Due to Health and Safety requirements you must be at least 18 years of age to undertake this volunteering role.
For all roles involving regulated work with children and/or protected adults, Aberlour will require the applicant to submit a PVG Scheme Record or a PVG Scheme Record Update application. This opportunity is subject to the completion of satisfactory references and successful registration on the PVG Scheme.
Jill Robb - Aberlour LifeWorks - Fife
Telephone: 01592 591 500
For further information and to apply for this role please click on the following link: Aberlour Volunteering Information Pack