We currently have a vacancy for a Support Worker at Ruthrieston House, one of our Older People Care Homes, where you will provide a professional, caring and effective service to our service users. Any prior experience would be welcome but is not essential as full on the job training will be provided. You must however be willing to undertake an SVQ Level II in Health and Social Care if you do not already hold one. The post will involve working 28 hours per week to a rota over 7 days and include day and evening work. We welcome applications from those who would like the opportunity to work within social care or those seeking a change of direction.
1. Communicating effectively with individuals according to agreed standards and procedures, accessing and updating records in keeping with guidelines.
2. Helping to provide a safe and protective environment by complying with health, safety, and security procedures, including medication, and reporting accidents/incidents when appropriate.
3. Supporting service users in their daily living, according to their recognised and agreed needs, providing personal care where necessary, adhering to practices which promote well-being, choice, and treating people with dignity and respect.
4. Assisting service users in developing and maintaining social networks and relationships.
5. Assisting and encouraging service users to develop skills and knowledge to live as independently as possible, if appropriate, with reference to the risk assessment process.
6. Participating in the development, implementation and review of personal plans with service users.
7. Supporting service users appropriately when they experience a significant life change or loss.
8. Developing one’s knowledge and practice continuously through participation in training and development activities.
9. Carrying out any other tasks from time to time, provided they are reasonable and within the postholder’s capabilities.
10. Have awareness and work within internal control systems in your area to facilitate improvement in the quality of service provided.
Essential: Willingness and ability to achieve SVQ 2 in Health and Social Care within 3 years of appointment or as determined by VSA.
SVQ 2 in Health and Social Care
Food Hygiene certificate
Experience of working in a busy environment
Experience of working in a caring role involving adults
Ability to communicate well verbally with individuals.
Ability to write short reports.
Basic I.T. skills (e.g.-mails)
- Health and Safety aware
- Client Focused
- Organised Desirable:
Other Job Requirements:
To comply with the registration and qualification requirements as laid down by the Scottish Social Service Council (SSSC) and to strictly adhere to the SSSC Codes of Practice. Ability to deal with difficult behaviour following VSA standards and procedures
Apply online at the VSA website
For further information, contact Craig Teasdale on 01224 313154 or email [email protected]org.uk